Sunday, September 18, 2005

HELSINKI, FINLAND.

At 4:45 on Saturday afternoon my Viking Line Ferry departed Stockholm enroute to Helsinki, Finland. The ferry is capable of carrying 2000 passengers and boast a restaurant, club, sauna and tax free shops. The weather has been very good in my last two days in Stockholm and I was able to enjoy the city very much. I visited Skansen, which is a park with re-enactment of Sweddish homes and farms throughout history. On my last day I was able to enjoy the old city after dropping off my backpack at the Viking Line port in the morning.

The sleeping cabin inside the ferry was a four bedder and it had a toilet and shower. I arrived this morning in Helsinki at 10am local time which is one hour forward from Sweden and which totals two hours forward from England.

The weather here is not as bad as I expected, it is overcast and a little windy but it feels good and I feel comfortable walking around. The cool weather is nice and is a big change from the the hot sunny days I experienced in Italy.

I am here at the Hortus Botanicus Universitatis Helsingiensis which is basically a botanical garden with greenhouse/ glasshouse where they keep plants from all over the world. It is quite warm and humid inside and especially in the part where they keep tropical giant pond lillies.

I am just going to take it easy here in Helsinki for the next couple of days. I am hopping to catch a ferry all the way back to Germany and into Frankfurt after Hlesinki. I am hopping to attend the Frankfurt Motor Show. I am quickly running out of time and I still want to visit Prague.

On the Viking Line Ferry to Helsinki.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Passing time in my cabin.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Admiring Helsinki´s famous church.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Trying some of Helsinki's local dish at a market by the harbour.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The giant tropical lilies in a glass house at the University of Helsinki´s horticultural garden.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Admiring the view on top of the Olympic Tower at the 1952 Helsinki Games Olympic Stadium.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One of Helsinki´s famous monument- the Sibelius Monument.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Spending the afternoon at a nearby lake.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,

By the ways, just wondering will you be doing the october fest stuff, since you are in that area..???

Thank you for the postcard of JP2.. I felt very blessed... =) It's now stuck on my corkboard, along with the Hawaii one. Love it!!! =)

Anyways, keep the enjoyment alive.. =)

Cheers!! =)

1:35 AM  
Blogger TravellingGreg said...

Hey Edester,

Nah no more excessive beer drinking for me! In fact I cant remember the last time I had a beer! After the contiki tour I think I have drank enough beer for this year. Besides I am still recovering from the cold I caught from the World Youth Day...I want to be fit when I go to the Phils.

Yeh so I wont be going to Munich for the real Octoberfest celebration but its celebrated all over Germany so I might not be able to ressit a beer in Frankfurt!

cheers! = )

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home