Sunday, September 11, 2005

COPENHAGEN.

I arrived here in Copenhagen this morning (Sunday) at 9am. I caught another night train from Berlin. I almost missed my train because I was waiting for three hours at the wrong station! I had to catch another train to get to the right station and I just made it to my night train with just a minute to spare! The train trip again was pretty good and I had a good night sleep. The whole train actually boarded a ferry which took us across to Malmo in Sweden so we did not have to get off the train. From Malmo it was another 35 minutes on another train to Copenhagen.

The weather here is not as cold as I expected, althought it is defintiely colder than in Germany.

I am hoping to spend a few nights over here before making my decission to wether to go up to Helsinki or make my way down to Prague and possibly Poland.

The famous sculpture dedicated to Hans Christian Anderson´s "The Little Mermaid".
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Kronborg castle North of Copehagen in Helsingor. A beutiful and heavily fortified renaissance castle.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Peter Jensen, a Dane I met on my way to Helsingor. He decided to come with me and he drove us there.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The harbour near Lousiana-Museum of Modern Art.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Queen of Denmark´s Palace.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I thought travelling for a year was long enough but Pushkar Shan here from Nepal is planning to do it for 11 years. He started in 1998 and will finnish in 2009. His reason?... for world peace. Check out his website at www.pushkarshah.com.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The statue of the man himself... Hans Christian Anderson. Also note the bicycles...it is a form of transport here... us Australians can definitely learn from the Europeans!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One of the fire breathing dragons guarding the City Hall Building, also Tivoli in the background which is a famous botanic/ amusement park here in Copenhagen. After going to about 10 amusement parks in Orlando I couldn´t possibly go to another one so I dont know what it is like inside.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And this is me contemplating at sunset with the Little Mermaid- dont believe Disney, the story of the little mermaid is really sad and tragic!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

H. C. Andersen´s little mermaid

Far out at sea the water´s as blue as the petals of the loveliest cornflower, and as clear as the purest glass; but it´s very deep, deeper than any anchor can reach. Many church steeples would have to be piled up one above the other to reach from the bottom of the sea to the surface. Right down there live the sea people.

This is how the Danish poet, H. C. Andersen begins the tale of the youngest daughter of the Sea King.

She fell in love with a Prince
At the age of 15, the little Mermaid for the first time swims to the surface of the sea, where she fell in love with the Prince she saved from drowning.


Read the stroy here: http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

train that boards a ferry cool, have you got any pic or were you asleep at the time?
did you get a whole sleeping both to yourself or did ypu have to share with others again?

aw

12:54 PM  
Blogger TravellingGreg said...

Hey Andrew W,

Yeh, I was asleep and then the silence woke me up as the train parked on the ferry. But I was too sleepy to even look up out of the window let alone take a picture! But it was great since the whole train started swaying with the ferry. I had to share with 5 people in a cabin..I had the bottom bunk this time. The night train from Munich to Berlin was different in that there were no individual cabins but the bunks folded down from both side of the isle and only had curtains for privacy- It was a newer design. If your designing trains you defintely take a trip to Europe and see all the trains over here.. I think it's a must. It could even be tax deductable for you! : )

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pics..! =)

By the what did the Little Mermaid have to say (looks like she's sad about something, perhaps she's lost something in the water or something), and did you both have some icecream so that she'll cheer up, a little bit????

1:44 AM  
Blogger TravellingGreg said...

Hey Edester,

Well you would be sad too if you knew that an evil sea witch will turn you into an evil sea foam if you cant get the prince you fell in love with to mary you! : )

I wanted to buy her an ice cream but she just ignored me...sometimes you just got to give people time on their own! : )

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home